php.net |  support |  documentation |  report a bug |  advanced search |  search howto |  statistics |  random bug |  login
Bug #21400 Problem writing to Excel spreadsheet via COM
Submitted: 2003-01-03 17:01 UTC Modified: 2003-01-25 12:01 UTC
Votes:3
Avg. Score:4.3 ± 0.9
Reproduced:3 of 3 (100.0%)
Same Version:3 (100.0%)
Same OS:3 (100.0%)
From: dhunter at ssesco dot com Assigned:
Status: Not a bug Package: COM related
PHP Version: 4.3.0 OS: Win 2000
Private report: No CVE-ID: None
 [2003-01-03 17:01 UTC] dhunter at ssesco dot com
When using COM to write to an Excel spreadsheet, my PHP script can write to cells in column "A", but when I try to write to cells in any other column, the script appears to terminate without sending anything to the browser (a 404 response).  

The script works OK with 4.2.3, except an Excel "zombie" process remains after the script is finished (this "zombie" bug appears to be fixed with 4.3.0, only to introduce this new problem).

Patches

Add a Patch

Pull Requests

Add a Pull Request

History

AllCommentsChangesGit/SVN commitsRelated reports
 [2003-01-03 17:45 UTC] dhunter at ssesco dot com
Here's some more info:

It should be noted that the Excel spreadsheet and its macros *actually do work*, even though PHP or Apache or whoever it is is sending a 404.  I know this, because after I'm done with Excel, I stream its HTML output file using readfile() and flush().  If I put a sleep() right after the readfile() and flush(), I can see the spreadsheet and chart in the browser.  As soon as the sleep() expires and the script terminates, I get the 404.  The HTML file that Excel created still exists, I can enter its URL in my browser and view it OK.

Working back and commenting out stuff, I found that selecting or writing to cells in any column other than "A" causes the 404 to happen.  Unfortunately, my Excel macros don't work too well when I do that.  ;-)
 [2003-01-09 06:50 UTC] phpmax at netznacht dot de
Tried to open test.xls, added some content and saved it to a new name.
The Script runs through and does everything I intended.

But: php.exe stays in Memory and consumes 99% CPU Time and a Windowsmessage pops up with an Error.
Roughly translated to English, it says:
The Command in "0x30033d8a" is pointing in Memory "0x650eeed8". The Command "read" could not be executed on the memory.
Click OK.

I thought that the Unset Command did it, and removed it. But: Didn't solve the Problem.

Max
 [2003-01-19 07:33 UTC] haafiz at ezwebsolutions dot ca
dhunter, I have the EXACT same problem with you.

I didn't mind that zombie excel.exe, but now this just wont work at all on 4.3.0.

I'm almost considering to switch back to 4.2.x
 [2003-01-25 12:01 UTC] phanto@php.net
Please do not submit the same bug more than once. An existing
bug report already describes this very problem. Even if you feel
that your issue is somewhat different, the resolution is likely
to be the same. Because of this, we hope you add your comments
to the existing bug instead.

Thank you for your interest in PHP.

#21378
 
PHP Copyright © 2001-2022 The PHP Group
All rights reserved.
Last updated: Mon Aug 15 01:05:44 2022 UTC