php.net |  support |  documentation |  report a bug |  advanced search |  search howto |  statistics |  random bug |  login
Bug #69990 file_get_contents broken on symlinks
Submitted: 2015-07-03 18:01 UTC Modified: 2021-08-23 08:37 UTC
Votes:7
Avg. Score:5.0 ± 0.0
Reproduced:6 of 7 (85.7%)
Same Version:2 (33.3%)
Same OS:4 (66.7%)
From: michael dot mckeever at bosch dot com Assigned: cmb (profile)
Status: Closed Package: *Directory/Filesystem functions
PHP Version: 5.5.26 OS: Windows 7
Private report: No CVE-ID: None
Welcome back! If you're the original bug submitter, here's where you can edit the bug or add additional notes.
If this is not your bug, you can add a comment by following this link.
If this is your bug, but you forgot your password, you can retrieve your password here.
Password:
Status:
Package:
Bug Type:
Summary:
From: michael dot mckeever at bosch dot com
New email:
PHP Version: OS:

 

 [2015-07-03 18:01 UTC] michael dot mckeever at bosch dot com
Description:
------------
I used:
- php 5.5.26 ts 32bit VC11 as SAPI
- apache 2.4.12 32bit VC11
- windows 7 sp1
On Windows 7 (have only tested it on Windows 7) the file_get_contents function does sometimes return false instead of returning the actual file content when used on symlinks. This happens only in conjunction with Apache. The cli versions are not affected. All types of links are affected:
- mklink
- mklink /J
- mklink /D

To repoduce the bug create the three symlink types above to a file of your choice containing the string "asdf" and apply the paths to your the test script below and use the abs.exe command (shipped with apache) to simulate 800 request with a concurency of 200 users:
abs.exe -n 800 -c 200 http://localhost/yourTestScript.php

If needed I can provide a fully virtual machine with the whole reproducable scenario in it (virtual box).

Test script:
---------------
$files =
[
	"file" => "C:/Development/phpdir/phpfile.txt",
	"filelink" => "C:/Development/phpdir/phpfilelink.txt",
	"dirlink" => "C:/Development/phpdirlink/phpfile.txt",
	"dirjunc" => "C:/Development/phpdirjunc/phpfile.txt",
];

foreach($files as $linkType => $filePath) {
	if( @file_get_contents($filePath) !== "asdf" ) {
		if( @file_get_contents("C:/Development/$linkType") === false )
			file_put_contents("C:/Development/$linkType", 0);
		file_put_contents("C:/Development/$linkType", ((int)file_get_contents("C:/Development/$linkType"))+1);
	}
}

Expected result:
----------------
No files should appear in the directory "C:/Development/".

Actual result:
--------------
There are laying three files namely 'filelink', 'dirlink' and 'dirjunc' containing the number of file_get_contents failing to succeed.

Patches

Add a Patch

Pull Requests

Add a Pull Request

History

AllCommentsChangesGit/SVN commitsRelated reports
 [2015-09-02 13:08 UTC] rombismith at cuvox dot de
We're having exactly the same issue, but not on a Win7 but on a WinServer 2008 and WinServer 2008R2.
 [2021-08-19 16:32 UTC] cmb@php.net
-PHP Version: Irrelevant +PHP Version: 5.5.26
 [2021-08-19 16:32 UTC] cmb@php.net
Is this still an issue with any of the actively supported PHP
versions[1]?  If so, are the link targets absolute paths?

[1] <https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php>
 [2021-08-20 08:46 UTC] cmb@php.net
-Status: Open +Status: Feedback -Assigned To: +Assigned To: cmb
 [2021-08-22 15:57 UTC] michael dot mckeever at bosch dot com
I'll try to reproduce this bug in a VM with Windows10.
I can't tell you if the bug is gone. Please give me approx. 3 days.
I'll report back.
 [2021-08-23 05:19 UTC] michael dot mckeever at bosch dot com
Good news!

I tested this on Windows 7 and Windows 10 with PHP 7.4.12 and Apache 2.4.46.
The bug is gone. I've not been able to reproduce the bug in any way, so this can be considered fixed.

Thank you everyone!
 [2021-08-23 08:37 UTC] cmb@php.net
-Status: Feedback +Status: Closed
 [2021-08-23 08:37 UTC] cmb@php.net
Thank you for checking!
 
PHP Copyright © 2001-2021 The PHP Group
All rights reserved.
Last updated: Tue Sep 28 08:03:36 2021 UTC