php.net |  support |  documentation |  report a bug |  advanced search |  search howto |  statistics |  random bug |  login
Bug #24841 --with-xml won't load apache
Submitted: 2003-07-28 06:39 UTC Modified: 2003-07-29 20:44 UTC
From: herps at raqtweak dot com Assigned:
Status: Closed Package: Apache related
PHP Version: 4.3.2 OS: Sun/Cobalt RAQ550 / RedHat 7.x
Private report: No CVE-ID: None
View Add Comment Developer Edit
Anyone can comment on a bug. Have a simpler test case? Does it work for you on a different platform? Let us know!
Just going to say 'Me too!'? Don't clutter the database with that please !
Your email address:
MUST BE VALID
Solve the problem:
50 - 23 = ?
Subscribe to this entry?

 
 [2003-07-28 06:39 UTC] herps at raqtweak dot com
Description:
------------
OK, first things first.
I use a SRPM to compile PHP, so I can reinstall it on all my servers easily...
This SRPM worked fine until PHP 4.3.1, but it started causing problems (xml) since 4.3.2.
Note, I ASO TRIED MANUAL, NON SRPM!!! SAME PROBLEM!!!

Here is the configure I use
==============================
./configure --prefix=/usr --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --enable-mbstr-enc-trans --enable-track-vars --enable-calendar --enable-ctype --enable-versioning --with-readline --enable-mbstring --enable-wddx=shared --enable-mm=shared --enable-mbregex --enable-shmop --enable-sigchild --enable-sysvsem --enable-sysvshm --enable-versioning --with-readline --disable-debug --enable-safe-mode --with-exec-dir=/usr/bin --with-regex=system --with-gettext=/usr --enable-trans-sid --enable-ftp --enable-inline-optimization --with-pgsql --with-zlib-dir=/usr/lib --enable-safe-mode --with-config-file-path=/etc/httpd --enable-magic-quotes --enable-apc --with-iconv --with-gd --enable-gd-imgstrttf --enable-gd-native-ttf --with-db3 --with-interbase=shared --with-mysql --with-pgsql=shared --with-ldap-dir=/usr --with-imap-dir=/usr --with-curl=shared --with-pdflib=/usr --with-mcrypt --with-png-dir=/usr/lib --with-jpeg-dir=/usr/lib --with-ttf --with-ttf=/usr/lib/libttf.so --enable-xslt --with-xslt-sablot --with-expat-dir=/usr --with-sablot-js=/usr --with-xml --enable-xml --with-dom --with-xml2 --enable-xml2
==============================

Now, when I REMOVE "--with-xml --enable-xml --with-dom --with-xml2 --enable-xml2" it will work fine.
The issue lies in --with-xml/--enable-xml, I tested that... It's NOT domxml or xml2.

Again, this started with version 4.3.2

My XML versions
[root /root]# rpm -qa | grep xml
libxml10-1.0.0-2
libxml-1.8.7-1
libxml-devel-1.8.7-1
libxml2-2.5.7-1
libxml2-devel-2.5.7-1

"/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart" (apache 1.3.20) loads fine, not really a problem, shows no errors, but a "ps aux" shows no httpd process and apache is not on (no site will show)

Once again, the SAME configuration, using 4.3.1 WORKS...

Please advice.


Patches

Add a Patch

Pull Requests

Add a Pull Request

History

AllCommentsChangesGit/SVN commitsRelated reports
 [2003-07-28 08:21 UTC] sniper@php.net
Doing 'apachectl restart' is not gonna work when you install
new module. You need to 'apachectl stop' and then 'apachectl start' to get it work. Most likely some issue with using e.g. --with-regex=system (read ./configure --help) and linking with external expat. (--with-expat-dir).

Not PHP bug, really.

 [2003-07-28 10:28 UTC] herps at raqtweak dot com
I keep testing, it really is --with-xml and nothing else...
 [2003-07-28 10:36 UTC] sniper@php.net
Try with this configure line:

# rm config.cache && ./configure --disable-all --with-xml --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs

 [2003-07-28 10:50 UTC] herps at raqtweak dot com
OK Thank you.
Sorry for my freaking out, but I've working on it for quite a while now and it was starting to piss me off :-)

THIS works... Odd enough...
So logical explination would be that something conflicts with --with-xml.

Cause if I use MY EXACT same config, WITHOUT xml, it works, WITH it doesn't... Conflict?
Any idea WHAT would be the conflict?
The two you mentioned ain't it...

Thanks!!!
 [2003-07-28 11:23 UTC] sniper@php.net
It's your apache that conflicts with it, it has expat too.
And when you use certain configure options with PHP, it gets confused and can't resolve the conflict anymore.

"Note that if you are using Apache-1.3.7 or later, you already have the required expat library. Simply configure PHP using --with-xml (without any additional path) and it will automatically use the expat library built into Apache."

That's in the manual, here: http://www.php.net/xml

Drop the --with-expat-dir and --with-regex=system options.
(latter is another cause for this kind of trouble)

Like I said before, this is not a bug.

 [2003-07-28 11:25 UTC] sniper@php.net
Another thing: NEVER use /usr/lib in any configure options.
(they don't expect that /lib part and might fail if it's present)

 [2003-07-29 20:44 UTC] herps at raqtweak dot com
It did not turn out to be anything you mentioned...
After many many hours I found out the --with-pgsql=shared made it crash....
 
PHP Copyright © 2001-2022 The PHP Group
All rights reserved.
Last updated: Thu Aug 18 20:05:44 2022 UTC