php.net |  support |  documentation |  report a bug |  advanced search |  search howto |  statistics |  random bug |  login
Bug #3883 Parsing of GET/POST-data in UTF-7 encoding
Submitted: 2000-03-20 12:57 UTC Modified: 2005-03-31 16:13 UTC
From: woecherl at mlcomputing dot de Assigned:
Status: Wont fix Package: Other
PHP Version: 3.0.15 OS: Windows NT 3.51
Private report: No CVE-ID: None
Have you experienced this issue?
Rate the importance of this bug to you:

 [2000-03-20 12:57 UTC] woecherl at mlcomputing dot de
Hi there,

Internet Explorer 5 transmits under certain circumstances urlencoded data from <form>s with additional UTF-7 character encoding applied. E.g., normally the data would be encoded into something like 
name1=value1&name2=value2
whereas with additional UTF-7 character encoding applied the same would read 
name1+ADO-value1+ACY-name2+ADO-value2
Simply "=" is replaced with "+ADO-" and "&" with "+ACY-" (see also RFC 2152).
With method GET anything after the ? in the URL ist coded, with method PUT the body of the HTTP request. 

The PHP interpreter (in my case the CGI version with Apache 1.3.6 on WinNT 3.51) does not handle this additional character coding. It simply can not decode anything useful an thus no data reach the script. 

With the information I have I can not determine whether this is a misbehaviour of IE 5 (i.e. not conforming with applicable RFCs) or a missing link of PHP's "decoding chain" (with IE5 conforming with applicable RFCs). 
I regret that I can not tell how to configure IE 5 to reproduce this behaviour. All my tests with IE 5 work, but some of our customers can not use our PHP driven applications.

On Microsoft's support site I found the following two documents addressing a similar problem in MS Outlook:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q244/4/41.ASP
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q244/3/94.ASP

If this "bug" should turn out not to be a problem inside PHP I apologize for the extra work I caused. 

Best regards,

Michael Woecherl
M&L Computing GmbH, Germany

Email woecherl@mlcomputing.de

Patches

Add a Patch

Pull Requests

Add a Pull Request

History

AllCommentsChangesGit/SVN commitsRelated reports
 [2002-03-25 19:43 UTC] peter at not-a-real-email dot org
I was having a similar problem with a website that I designed, but was actually seeing this error myself.

I'm not sure the exact nature or case of this, but I fixed it by specifying the Content-Type in a META tag on all the web pages that contained the requests. In my case this was adding the tag to the header of all pages.

I used the following tag:
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1250">

I hope this helps you out,
Peter
 [2005-03-31 16:13 UTC] php-bugs at lists dot php dot net
We are sorry, but we do not support PHP 3 related problems anymore.
 
PHP Copyright © 2001-2019 The PHP Group
All rights reserved.
Last updated: Fri Aug 23 15:01:27 2019 UTC